Sidewalk Astronomy

Sidewalk Astronomy

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Rooftop Observatory

Last night, I had the honour of touring a rooftop observatory at Alfred's private apartment. It was truly quite an experience. Dave, Ava, and James were there. We had to climb a ladder to an attic and then exit to the rooftop where the open-air observatory was. Being afraid of heights, I had to bite the bullet and climb my way up in the name of astronomy. The ladder felt a little flimsy as I was ascending to "heaven" but Alfred assured me that it was sturdy enough to take even the weight of a massive dude like me.

We had to walk through the attic where Alfred keeps all his telescopes and other astronomical equipment. I made a quick count of the number of telescopes he had while we were walking to the observatory. It was something like, I don't know, 30? That's a crazy number of telescopes he own!

Exiting the attic and reaching the observatory, a super-massive C14 greeted our arrival. This 14-inch beast was sitting on a solid pier and it was pointing at Jupiter and a live image was projected onto James' 22-inch TV.

We also took turns to look through the telescope and gosh, what an awesome sight of Jupiter and its moons!

I really want to thank Dave and Ava for the invitation to such a wonderful night and Alfred for being such a gracious host for having us over to his impeccable rooftop observatory. I have also learnt that it was a customary practice to enjoy a little birds' nest drink while doing observations up there. How cute is that, huh? It was certainly an experience that no words could convey.

*Damn it, I should have took a picture of the ladder leading up to the attic as well. Next time, perhaps.

Jupiter!
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment