Sidewalk Astronomy

Sidewalk Astronomy

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Why do I do this?

I must confess. I am not entirely new to stargazing. Having started this fascinating hobby about a year ago, I have learnt a thing or two. I have seen some awesome things in the sky and also made new friends along the way. They are a very intelligent and passionate group of people.


I have been participating with a group called Singapore Sidewalk Astronomy https://www.facebook.com/SingaporeSidewalkAstronomy


We do these public outreach sessions called "sidewalks" in an effort to promote stargazing and astronomy to the masses. Singapore is a very fast-paced country and many people do not bother about things that do not directly affect their livelihood. So, they remain ignorant to many aspects of life and only care about things that could potentially generate a lot of material wealth.


We don't get paid doing these public sidewalks. They are always for free. I guess the only incentive I get is when people are amazed by what they can see through a telescope or binoculars and they go "Wow!", "Woahhh...", "Oh my god!"


That is the only satisfaction I need - some of us truly want you to be mesmerized by the Universe and watch you learn something out of the ordinary at the end of the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment