Sidewalk Astronomy

Sidewalk Astronomy

Saturday, April 11, 2015

A Thousand Suns

Gary held an impromptu sidewalk session outside of Toa Payoh Library yesterday evening. I came down from work empty-handed and tried my best to help out here and there.

Gary brought along his Mak, Haz was there with his 80mm triplet refractor, and Dave, together with Ava, came with his 80mm ED refractor later in the evening. Uncle Wayne was there as well with his Nikon binos.

Dave, Ava, Uncle Wayne, and I went for dinner at a newly opened Indian food stall nearby. The food was only so-so and it took a long time for our food to be served. The prata was cold, the curry wasn't to my liking as it was diluted and the texture of the curry just wasn't right.

I met an amazing Indian couple shortly after dinner. They were really inquisitive and they were asking me many questions about the recent happenings in the field of astronomy - from the thirty-meter telescope to putting people on Mars. Of course, I was very happy to tell them what I knew. I truly find pleasure in communicating this sort of things to the public and I try to explain it as simply as I could. You can actually reach out to the public without a telescope!

Later on, Ava told us that she was giving out solar filters to the people in our group for free. At first, I was hesitant about taking one as I already have a pair at home. Seeing what she was trying to give was a more compact, card version that I could keep in my phone cover's pocket, I offered to pay her for one.

Just last week after the Lunar Eclipse had ended, Dave lent to me his Thousand Oak white light solar filter which could fit an 80mm telescope but I have yet to try it as the weather was very cloudy during my off day from work last Monday. I shall try it again next Monday if the weather is reasonably good.




No comments:

Post a Comment