Sidewalk Astronomy

Sidewalk Astronomy

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Saying goodbye

This post isn't really about Astronomy but I guess it has got something to do with it.

Started at the age of 14, I have been a smoker for 17 years now, it's time for me to say goodbye to cigarettes for good. This isn't my first attempt at quitting, I have had countless of failed tries in the past.

What made me want to call it quits? Thinking how badly stained my teeth are from smoking and how much I avoid talking during astro outreach sessions has its impact on the decision. I can't live like that anymore. Even during a normal conversation with friends, I try to avoid their gaze because of shame. My quality of life has been affected and I can't share the things I love to do with people without feeling like some hideous monster.

I feel that I have disappointed people who came for our sidewalk sessions wanting to look through our telescopes but mine was often pointed downwards at the ground because I had to go for a smoke break.

Things had to be done to better the situation and I have taken steps to see that I succeed this time.

Stopped smoking for almost 3 days now and I went to the pharmacy to get a product called Nicorette to control the urges. I was quite skeptical at first but hey, it works!

Booked a dental appointment for next week to clean up my teeth. I know that there's going to be a hell lot of oral pain but it has to be done.

I am also using an app to keep track of progress.

I hope this all works out and I can be a brand new person again and share the hobby of stargazing with a renewed passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment